Your expired or soon-to-expire U.S. passport can be renewed by mail if it meets all the following requirements:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
- It was issued when you were age 16 or older
- It was issued within the last 15 years
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must renew in person at an authorized Passport Application Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency.
If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail:
- Fill out Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail
- Submit your most recent U.S. passport book and/or card
- If your name has changed, submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order
- Pay the applicable fee
- Provide one passport photo (photo requirements)
- Mail in the application
For more information, such as where to mail your passport renewal materials in each state, visit the U.S. Department of State website.