How Rocky Mountaineer trips work
Rocky Mountaineer is a luxury sightseeing train experience with 3 routes in Canada and 1 route in the U.S. Each route takes 2 or 3 days to traverse, and trains only travel during the day to maximize your views of the landscape. At night, trains stop in a town and guests transfer to a hotel.
Packages are customizable to your preferences and budget, and come in 3 varieties:
- Short Journeys: These one-way trips take 2 or 3 days to travel the full length of one route, beginning and ending in different places. Journeys can begin at either end of a route.
- Rockies Highlights: These packages add extra days and experiences before or after riding the Rocky Mountaineer train, typically with motorcoach connections. For Canadian itineraries, these experiences are in the Rockies. For the American route, they're in Utah's Red Rock Country. Like Short Journeys, they begin and end in different places.
- Circle Journeys: These round-trip packages include everything from Rockies Highlights, plus an additional train journey on a different route that returns you to your starting point. Circle Journeys are only available for Canadian routes.
Thus, while your choice of route(s) will determine what you see from the train, many packages include additional sightseeing and activities. For example, all Journey through the Clouds packages have a train journey beginning or ending in Jasper, but many also include days in Banff.
Rocky Mountaineer packages include all food served aboard the train: breakfast and a multi-course lunch each day, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, and morning and afternoon snacks. They offer 2 levels of service:
- SilverLeaf Service: Seats are in a single-level car with oversized glass-dome viewing windows. Meals are served at your seat.
- GoldLeaf Service: Seats are on the upper level of a bi-level car with even larger glass-dome windows. Meals are a la carte and served in the dining room on the car's lower level. Other benefits include premium beverages, signature cocktails, and an exclusive outdoor viewing platform. GoldLeaf Service is available only on Rocky Mountaineer's Canadian routes.
RELATED STORY: Learn more about the Rocky Mountaineer onboard experience