Tips for Safe Winter Fun
● Dress in layers so clothing can be added or removed to regulate temperature.
● Avoid cotton clothing, as it absorbs water and can quickly chill the wearer.
● Know when sunset is and make sure you have plenty of time to return to your vehicle.
● Always make sure you know how to get back to your vehicle.
● When parking, make sure you can get back out (avoid icy inclines, etc.).
● Consider using a helmet when sledding, especially for children.
● Avoid sleds with metal runners; for safety reasons, most sledding areas don’t allow them.
● Even though it’s cold out, stay hydrated; snacks will help everyone stay warm.
● Always let someone know where you’re going before venturing out into the snow.
● Make sure your cellphone is charged, and be aware of limited cell reception.
● As a rule, infants should wear the same number of layers as adults, plus a blanket or additional layer. Check infants occasionally to make sure they’re not too cold or too warm.